S2 Blog: Selected in the H-1B Lottery While Applying? Why You Shouldn't Move SEVIS Without a Plan
You’re applying to a Day-1 CPT program as a safety net. Then: you get selected in the H-1B lottery. Suddenly you have two possible paths forward, and the timing of when to move your SEVIS record could cost you one of them. This article explains the critical decision points and why this requires both a GoElite consultant AND an immigration attorney.
Understanding Selection vs. Approval (This Is Critical)
H-1B Selection = Your petition was randomly selected from the lottery pool - Happens: First week of April (for the fiscal year starting October 1) - What it means: “Congratulations, your petition is in the lottery pool for further review” - What it does NOT mean: You’re approved to work on H-1B yet
H-1B Approval = USCIS reviewed your petition and issued an approval notice - Happens: 1–2 months after selection (with premium processing), or 2–3+ months without premium - What it means: “Your petition is approved; you can work for this employer starting October 1” - What it does mean: You now have an approved H-1B petition and can work
The difference matters because: - You cannot use your H-1B for anything until it’s approved (not just selected) - Between selection and approval, you’re in limbo; USCIS is reviewing - Your petition could be denied (rare, but happens) - Your Day-1 CPT is still your only backup during this period
The Critical Timeline Problem
Scenario: You’re applying for both simultaneously
- July: You apply to a Day-1 CPT program (as a backup)
- July: Your employer files your H-1B petition
- August: You’re selected in the H-1B lottery (exciting!)
- August–September: H-1B petition is under USCIS review (approval pending)
- September: You’re admitted to the Day-1 CPT program; I-20 is issued
- September: Your H-1B petition is still pending (not yet approved)
- October 1: H-1B might be approved, or might still be pending
The dilemma:
1. Do you request a SEVIS transfer to the CPT school NOW (September)?
2. Or do you wait for the H-1B approval?
3. What if the H-1B approves while you’re already enrolled in CPT?
4. What if the H-1B denies, but you’ve already abandoned CPT?
The answer depends on which scenario hits first.
The Decision Tree: Four Scenarios
Scenario A: H-1B Approved BEFORE CPT I-20 Is Issued
Timeline: - August: Selected in lottery - September 7: H-1B approved (premium processing was fast; USCIS worked quickly) - September 14: CPT school admits you; I-20 hasn’t been issued yet
Decision: Cancel the CPT application
Why? Once H-1B is approved, you don’t need F-1 status. H-1B is your path forward. Tell the CPT school you’re withdrawing, and they won’t issue an I-20.
Contact the school: “I’ve decided to pursue H-1B sponsorship instead. I’m withdrawing my application.”
Result: You abandon CPT and use H-1B. One path only.
Scenario B: H-1B Approved AFTER CPT I-20 Is Issued, BEFORE Enrollment
Timeline: - August: Selected in lottery - September 5: H-1B approved - September 10: CPT school issues I-20; hasn’t enrolled yet
Decision: Consult your immigration attorney and current H-1B employer
Your options: 1. Use the H-1B: Don’t enroll in CPT; start H-1B job on October 1. Tell CPT school you’re not coming. 2. Use the CPT (risky): Enroll in CPT for the fall term, then consider switching to H-1B status mid-program. This is messy and requires lawyer coordination.
Recommendation: Option 1 (use H-1B). CPT is a backup; once H-1B is approved, you have your path.
But your lawyer needs to review your specific situation (job offer, timing, OPT end date, employer’s timeline).
Scenario C: H-1B Approved AFTER CPT Enrollment
Timeline: - August: Selected in lottery - September: H-1B still pending - September 5: You enroll in CPT program (can’t wait forever); I-20 is active - October 10: H-1B finally approved (late, but approved) - You’re already in CPT classes
Decision: This is complex. You have options (not just one path).
Your options: 1. Stay in CPT, let H-1B dormant: Finish your CPT program; don’t use the H-1B yet. Later, if you need H-1B, you can activate it (depends on employer and timeline). 2. Stop CPT, switch to H-1B: Get out of CPT, stop attending classes, switch to H-1B status. Requires written agreement with school and USCIS paperwork. 3. Finish CPT, then switch to H-1B afterward: Complete your master’s on CPT, graduate, then use H-1B for work afterward (common path).
Which is best? Depends on: - Your employer’s timeline and expectations - Whether the CPT job and H-1B job are the same or different - Your visa goals after the program - Your financial situation
This requires a lawyer’s input. Email GoElite and ask for an immigration attorney referral. Explain the scenario.
Scenario D: H-1B NOT Approved, or Approved VERY Late
Timeline: - August: Selected in lottery - October: Still no H-1B approval - October: You’ve already enrolled in CPT program - November: H-1B finally approved (but your CPT program is well underway)
Decision: Proceed normally with CPT.
Your H-1B might get approved eventually, but by then you’re committed to the CPT program. That’s fine. You can: - Finish the CPT master’s program - Graduate in [future term] - Apply for OPT or H-1B afterward
You had a backup (CPT); now you’re using it.
Why “Don’t Automatically Move SEVIS” Matters
Some students think: “I got selected in the H-1B lottery, so I should request a SEVIS transfer to my H-1B employer’s company now.”
Don’t do this. Here’s why:
- Selection isn’t approval. Your petition is still under review. It could be denied (rare, but possible).
- You lose your F-1 backup. If you request a SEVIS transfer out of F-1 status before H-1B is approved, and then the petition is denied, you’re out of status. No backup.
- Your timing might not align. H-1B is for October 1 start. Your CPT CPT might start earlier. You’d have a gap where you have no authorization.
- Employer involvement complicates things. Your employer might not want you to switch statuses mid-program; they might want you to finish CPT first.
Better strategy: - Keep your F-1 status active until H-1B is actually approved - Don’t request a SEVIS transfer unless you’ve decided to abandon CPT - Wait for H-1B approval notification before making big decisions - Then decide: use H-1B, or stay in CPT
Consult With an Immigration Attorney (Not Just a Consultant)
This scenario involves overlapping statuses, employer involvement, USCIS timelines, and significant consequences. You need a lawyer, not just a consultant.
What your GoElite consultant can do: - Help you understand the H-1B timeline - Advise on keeping CPT as a backup - Coordinate with both the CPT school and your H-1B employer - Explain the pros and cons of each path
What an immigration attorney MUST do: - Review your actual H-1B petition and approval letter - Advise on swictching statuses (legal implications) - File necessary paperwork if you decide to change statuses mid-program - Represent you if there are any immigration complications - Ensure you don’t violate status while transitioning
Have both on your team: - GoElite = coordinator and consultant - Immigration attorney = legal advisor and filer
Email us and ask: “I’m selected in the H-1B lottery but applying to Day-1 CPT as a backup. Can you connect me with an immigration attorney for legal advice?” We have referrals.